In September, 1936, Eugene U. DeRoo opened his first funeral home at 1706 Ninth Street, Moline, Illinois. It was here that the foundations were built for over seventy years of continuing service.
The present location at 1611 Seventh Street, Moline, Illinois, was purchased in July of 1939 from Dr. Clarence Carlton. After extensive remodeling, the funeral home was opened in September of 1939. Further growth of the business was accommodated with the addition of a chapel and family room to the north end of the funeral home in 1952. This project was recognized by the Moline Chamber of Commerce Beautification Award.
In 1967, the property at 1630 Seventh Street was acquired to provide additional storage and parking.
Mr. DeRoo's son, Kevin, joined the firm in 1973, and a partnership between Eugene DeRoo and Kevin DeRoo was formed in 1977 to provide further growth and service. The funeral home incorporated in 1982. Eugene's grandson, Jeff DeRoo, joined the firm in 2005, marking three generations at the DeRoo Funeral Home, Ltd.
The year 2011 marked the 75th anniversary of continued funeral service. In 1982, the adjoining property west of the funeral home was acquired and construction began to enlarge the building with a 2,000 square foot addition which included a chapel, family room, office and further facilities. Additional property was purchased in February of 1990 with the acquisition of land on the southwest corner of Seventh Street and Seventeenth Avenue. This allowed the funeral home to add over forty additional parking spaces with this newly lighted landscaped facility.
As we continue to strengthen our reputation built on service, DeRoo Funeral Home, Ltd. would like to express appreciation to all for past support, and we look forward to future growth and service to the community.